Friday, July 11, 2008

Government Cheese: Yummy!

My stimulus check arrived last night! (And, by the way, seemed to have been mail-forwarded, so...who knows.) I'm way psyched. After much financial turmoil the last couple of months, this check will let me finish my little spurt of moving-in spending and stash some extra cash. I'm splitting it right down the middle: half for saving, half for spending.

Saving: The $300 infusion will bring my Freedom Fund to $8,600--huzzah! I projected out my savings for the rest of this calendar year, and found that if all goes as expected, I'll end up with $10,875, so I'm going to work on trying to find the extra $125 somewhere to make it a round $11,000. Shouldn't be too hard.

Spending: An extra cabinet for the bathroom, tins for spices (I have this awesome DIY spice rack idea revolving around 4-oz. tins, magnets, and the side of my refrigerator), cork pours, a mirror, supplies for my DIY charger station plan, perhaps some sort of non-shoebox filing system idea. And good gin for my housewarming party. Maybe, maybe, if there is money left over, the $30-including-shipping jar of Blenheim apricot jam that I covet from welovejam.com (I'm an apricot-preserve fiend. Like a zombie, but "aaaaapricots!" instead of "braaaaaains!").

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you finish your DIY spice rack project can you please post pictures & instructions? I love cooking but am working within VERY VERY confined spaces in our apt. So I'd love to see how that project turns out!! Also, what do you do w/ apricot jam?? do you cook with it ? If so, could you share more of your recipes. I'd love to read more about what you cook !

MoneyMaus said...

Congrats on finally getting your stimulus check! I have friends who are STILL waiting on theirs - I keep telling them to be patient :)

You are a wonderful saver and an inspiration to me as I start earning my bi-weekly paychecks. $11k in savings at age 24 is fantastic, be proud!!

PS Spice rack idea sounds neat.

Anonymous said...

For an expert advice on personal finance management one can rely on MoneyLIFE, a fortnightly personal finance magazine anytime.

Debashis Basu, a C.A. by qualification with 22 years of experience as a journalist & the author of several business books is the Editor & Publisher.

Sucheta Dalal, among the best known financial journalists in India (awarded Padma Shri in 2006) is the consulting editor.

Sharply focused on stocks, mutual funds, careers, consumer rights plus enterprise & smart spending this magazine delivers a stellar mix of unbiased, credible, unique & relevant content with sharp analysis.

MoneyLIFE is an Essential Tool for Learning- Earning-Spending-Investing Cycle.

www.moneylife.in

Anonymous said...

Consider yourself lucky! My stimulus check was only half of what I expected so I only got to use that half for one or the other, and guess which one... It was not for saving! I spent it... on Bills!

www.motorola.com/e8

KK said...

Great work on the savings! Isn't it a fantastic feeling to look at that ever-increasing number in the account?

Love the blog - can't wait for more!

Zombie Money said...

braiiiiiiiiiiiiins.......... :)

http://zombiemoney.blogspot.com/

Jerry said...

I would probably pay to see a movie with apricot zombies in it. Far less gore, far more fiber. Oooh, and if the cinema was selling fresh apricots at the concession stand? Bonus! Anyway, our stimulus check went to fund our upcoming move overseas (5 weeks away and counting), and we still need to get our international health insurance situated before we leave. It isn't cheap.
Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com

Lrn2Save said...

we owe money, so IF we get one (not sure if you do when you owe) we'll be cashing that puppy and sending it right back! :~(