Wednesday, January 02, 2008

And by the way, happy new year!

I had a lovely and relatively frugal New Year's Eve on Monday--I withdrew $40 from an ATM on Sunday night, and ended up only spending $30--K and I met some of my favorite folks at a Williamsburg bar for some drinks & company before heading over to the Promenade for the fireworks. The rest of the evening was spent at the nearby apartment of one of our company, where the drinks were strong & free (to us).

Tuesday was my family's traditional New Year's Day brunch--it marks the end of the season of excess. After a multi-course meal of bagels, cream cheese and lox, whitefish salad, pineapple-banana smoothie, various cheeses, mixed berries, and pastries, all capped off with a couple of hefty mimosas, I was ready to crawl onto my parents' couch and watch Law & Order for four or five hours. And that's exactly what I proceeded to do. The day end up costing me $15 (I picked up orange juice at Whole Foods on the way, per my dad's request, and split a cab home with K), and that's pretty much the end of my discretionary spending until a week from tomorrow.

It's been a really lovely couple of weeks, though--saw some friends I'd not seen in awhile, hung out with my sister (home from France for another couple of days), and enjoyed the celebrating, the singing & dancing & eating & drinking.

But now I am back to the office, back to eating Greek yogurt and Kashi GoLean, and back to watching my spending with the customary eagle eye.

1 comment:

Single Ma said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous holiday vacation. Love the New Year's brunch idea. With all the heavy eating on Thanksgiving and Christmas, I might consider this tradition for my family.

Happy New Year!