Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Quickie Frugal Food Tip

In my recent frugal food efforts, one thing I have found to be consistently true: chicken thighs are a better buy than chicken breasts. Breasts are drier and more expensive. People buy them because they're an easy shape to deal with and because they're slightly lower in fat--but really, the difference is a very slight one, and the thighs' flavor is the better for the little bit of extra fat (also, it can mean that the same amount of food is more filling). You can trim off the visible fat if it bothers you, but mostly it cooks off easily, leaving behind tender, juicy meat for less money.

Check out this easy recipe from Apartment Therapy's The Kitchen for a way to dip your toes into the wonderful world of chicken thighs.

1 comment:

SavingDiva said...

I usually buy the chicken breasts because I can cook them on my Foreman. If I'm feeling fancy, I might have to purchase some thighs!