Thursday, April 05, 2007

Absorbing Costs & Playing Musical Accounts

Immediately upon returning home last night, I entered the paycheck for today into Budget and began rejiggering my virtual envelopes to cover the Metrocard expense, figuring it was better to account for it in some way than to wait for my FSA reimbursement check in a state of confusion. I covered the expense pretty easily--a leftover $20 from the previous pay period, this paycheck's $40 "unexpected expenses" allocation, $16 worth of skimming, done.

Then I set out to find some money for the trip this weekend, my eBay plan having been an abysmal failure. I figure I need money for getting to the airport today (bus), getting home on Sunday (cab, probably), for covering the (relatively few) meals that won't be related to wedding festivities, and...for anything else that might come up. After assembling that sum (mostly, I co-opted this week's contributions to the clothing and haircut envelopes), I packed, put some airport snacks together (the hell I'm paying $12 for a disgusting sandwich), and spent some time catching up with my Internetting.

Then K came home. He'd thought to stop and get the mail, and there--lo and behold--was my FSA reimbursement check.

Hmm.

What I decided to do is this: I'll deposit the check into my Bank of America savings account, the one that holds my Keep the Change transfers and that will now hold the $100 float fund. I'll transfer the balance over $100 to my savings account over at ING.

I'll withdraw $120 of the $140 I put together for the trip from my checking account today. Hopefully, I'll come in under--but if I do, I'll need to figure out whether to "reimburse" my spending envelopes or to use it as an opportunity to save.

I'll update on this when I return--probably not before, though we can certainly hope that the hotel room K's parents have kindly gotten for us comes fully equipped with internet access.

3 comments:

Chance said...

It is always so inspiring to read about you carefully allocate accounts and how you think about money. thanks...

A. Marigold said...

I second 3 things. I've been cutting things ridiculously close in the last few weeks, and I wish I have been tracking my allocations so carefully... it would keep me from thinking things like, "by Friday, I will have... less than $50 in my checking account. I don't know how much less and it takes too long to transfer from savings, so I better charge everything until I get paid again." That is an obnoxious feeling.

Unknown said...

The Super Bowl of the Internet is on. You are invited onto the playing field: GODZILLA rampages over Big Media’s dumbest mistakes: Silence about (1) genocide of over 3,000,000 Black Christians in south Sudan. Plus Darfur, (2) Iran’s Action Plan for Holocaust II, (3) anti-Semitic violence in Europe.

WHY CONGRESS STRONGLY SUPPORTS the Largest Boycott in History: i-Boycott requires that Big Media forthwith create 1. Congress TV Channel, 2. Republican Party TV Channel, 3. Democratic Party TV Channel. Feel the love.

(A) GET YOUR FREE SHARE of Remorse-Apology money: American adults can divvy up some billions of dollars in money National Honor Awards. This is the biggest U.S. domestic scandal-&-crisis since 1865. Boycott target is a fast-food, TV advertiser that invites the 100 largest TV advertisers to meet on the crisis = a pleased nation, and TV news worldwide. First up: GE/NBC. A sea of troubles for the Peacock.

(B) FREE STOCK AS REWARDS TO COUNT-ME-IN EMAIL PEOPLE: A major boycott is the most powerful social instrument known to history. i-Boycott requires the largest public stock issuance ever: American adults can get $1,000 to $1 million in free, Founders stock in Federal Beneficial Automatic-IRA SportsBOND Commission, when issued. Free, no fees to anyone; ever. Intrinsic $ billion-a-day turnover can get Wall Street’s highest valuation. 1. Gets wealth for you, 2. Helps Darfur, 3. Assists Israel.

(1) YOU CAN GET FOUNDERS STOCK + MONEY, simply as a genocide Abolitionist. Reserve potential $1,100.00-a-day for you, in 2-minutes-a-day. Any day, every day. No need to have a blog site.

(2) For example, 100, free, fun, Count-me-in emails to you from your email pals, whether in 1 day or 100 days = potential $110,000.00 to you. More = more. Pals can do the same. YOU: a hero or heroine to your friends. Free. No fees, no payments, not a penny, ever. Never.

(3) 10,000 people times only 10 Count-me-in emails each X 10 = 1,000,000. Times 10 emails X 10 emails = “100,000,000” Americans in weeks = top of the news for months = your wealth achieved. APOLOGIES if this money-power comment is off topic. Email: biggorilla@gathering-of-eagles.com

KING KONG roars: Just for fun, The GREAT SPORTS FANS REVOLT. Advertiser-boycott required: All NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL home-games must be broadcast. NFL: 4 nights a week. NFL 20-game season, no pre-season.

Huge for the nation, big for your life. Get the free wealth. See Adobe.pdf titled WALL STREET at The Street’s Big Blog: http://biggorilla.typepad.com