Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bookswap a Go!

My boss just asked me to swap for a book for a colleague's personal use in a course she's taking. That means my compunctions about swapping for the Oxford Companion are out the window, and I won't have to pay for it.

Score.

[By the way, I realize that I haven't explained this: "book swaps" are the methods used by publishing companies to obtain competitors' books. I email an editorial assistant at whatever company and tell them what I want, and they either request something in exchange or bank the favor for later. The point is, the book I get will cost me no money, but it will cost my employer money. Of course, so do the books that my employer offers as a perk.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also work for a publisher, and I remember the first time I ever swapped. I was like, "Wait, I can DO this?!" I read 3-4 books a week for pleasure, and don't remember the last time I actually bought a book...One of the perks, like long holidays for teachers. :)

r said...

I don't know if you know about www.paperbackswap.com, but this is where I get most of my reading material. All it costs is postage to mail someone else a book they request.